In this article in Femme Actuelle, journalist Esther Buitkan once again called on Dr. Stéphanie Zwillinger to talk about the first signs of cataract.
If you want to know more about this ocular pathology, we invite you to read our articles dedicated to this subject on cataract surgery, cataract surgery and Alzheimer’s or surgery for congenital cataract.
From what age do the first signs of cataract appear ?
Generally, the first signs of cataract can appear after the age of fifty. Some symptoms may be imperceptible to you at first, which is why your ophthalmologist will be particularly attentive to the results of your visual assessment.
According to French health institute Inserm, cataracts concern:
- 20% of the population more than 65 years old;
- more than 60% of the population more than 80 years old.
The COP9 team reminds you that it is advisable to make regular appointments with the ophthalmologist to get screened!
You can also make an appointment for a loved one on Doctolib, a very practical system when you are a caregiver or accompanying an aging parent!
What are the symptoms of the first signs of cataract?
The first signs of cataract are :
- decreased distance vision;
- photophobia (increased sensitivity to light);
- difficulty reading a book, subtitles…;
- poor perception of contrasts;
- less clear color vision (close hues are difficult to differentiate);
- difficulty driving at night.
Our article will give you some clues on the first signs of cataracts. We invite you to complete it by clicking on the button below. You can enjoy its content on Femme Actuelle (article in French)!